Fast track your progress with the world's premier training program the Artist Accelerator

Newtothis

Premium
First Name
Beth
View attachment 23342

Hi all. Struggling to figure out why some lines are healing like this. Some lines look as though the ink in the middle of them has fallen out ?
They look solid during the tattoo then heal like this. They're not raised up at all but do look scarred.
It's only a few of my tattoos that've done this, 99% of them seem to heal fine. I currently use 7/11/14rl with a Bishop rotary (this also happened when I used a coil machine)
Please can anyone help? ?

Jerry7297

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Jerry
Are you double lining them or going over it more than once? I would say it looks like maybe going too deep or your hand speed is not matching your machine speed. Like maybe your machine speed is too high and you are moving too slow and it is causing it to be overworked possibly.

DKJ

Premium
Media
First Name
Mathieu
thetattooyoyo
View attachment 23342

Hi all. Struggling to figure out why some lines are healing like this. Some lines look as though the ink in the middle of them has fallen out ?
They look solid during the tattoo then heal like this. They're not raised up at all but do look scarred.
It's only a few of my tattoos that've done this, 99% of them seem to heal fine. I currently use 7/11/14rl with a Bishop rotary (this also happened when I used a coil machine)
Please can anyone help? ?
I don't know what is hapenning but some lines look like they weren't filled well, leaving a white path inside.

I had that multiple times and still getting them a little bit, but less since i started filling them lines at the end of the session.
When i keep it for the end, i make sure to wash all ink away and get the skin clean like at the end of the tattoo.
And it often shows well where the holes are, so i can fill where needed.
One thing i do is, when it's clean, i look from different angles and seek some red parts.
If it's red, it should mean that it's the irritated skin, so it should be filled.
But be careful, it must be red but not flooding red, because it could be blood from overworked skin.

Just my beginner's experience though.

Peace,

DKJ

Newtothis

Premium
First Name
Beth
Are you double lining them or going over it more than once? I would say it looks like maybe going too deep or your hand speed is not matching your machine speed. Like maybe your machine speed is too high and you are moving too slow and it is causing it to be overworked possibly.

Thank you for your help! They're single lines /single pass. I'll research into matching machine and hand speeds and see if that makes a difference. Thank you!

Newtothis

Premium
First Name
Beth
I don't know what is hapenning but some lines look like they weren't filled well, leaving a white path inside.

I had that multiple times and still getting them a little bit, but less since i started filling them lines at the end of the session.
When i keep it for the end, i make sure to wash all ink away and get the skin clean like at the end of the tattoo.
And it often shows well where the holes are, so i can fill where needed.
One thing i do is, when it's clean, i look from different angles and seek some red parts.
If it's red, it should mean that it's the irritated skin, so it should be filled.
But be careful, it must be red but not flooding red, because it could be blood from overworked skin.

Just my beginner's experience though.

Peace,

DKJ

Thank you for the advice! I'll definitely try looking from different angles once the area is properly cleaned down and fill in where necessary. The lines are single pass - we're your lines like that too when you had this problem? It looks like the outside needles of the grouping have put in ink but the ones in the middle didn't.

I'm very new to this so I'll take all the advice I can get. Thank you!!

DKJ

Premium
Media
First Name
Mathieu
thetattooyoyo
I never had this kind of healed look but my oldest tattoo is 5 months old.
I've always been very light and am doing a 2nd pass over 75% of my lines.
I'm a delicate flower.

Peace,

DKJ

gadsden1776

Premium
First Name
n
I couldn't open the attachment.

But if your using a bishop/direct drive and others here say it's overworked for the various reasons-

I'd like say... This is a good reason for beginners to not use rotaries. Learning on coils is tried and true for reasons.

balooka

Premium Plus
First Name
Jay
Can't see the image but...

This sometimes happens to me with large groupings and not enough angle. If I pull a longer line, my angle sometimes shifts to almost 90° and the needle bounces on certain parts of the skin and no ink, or only some needle dots get in.

gadsden1776

Premium
First Name
n
balooka... are you using a direct drive rotary? are you getting a good stretch in those circumstances?

Last edited:

balooka

Premium Plus
First Name
Jay
balooka... are you using a direct drive rotary? are you getting a good stretch in those circumstances?

Inkjecta and thunder rotary and only with 9 or 11 when it happens. The stretch seems to be OK but the bigger the spread, the more bouncy the middle part gets on certain areas of the body. At least that is my experience. And combined with the wrong angle, the needle bounces.

gadsden1776

Premium
First Name
n
That's odd. I'm not experienced enough to know for sure, especially over the internet. And I'm just starting down the path to rotaries.

I would double check that stretch. Especially since the middle is more bouncy... It's not as tight.

Think about those long lines before you do them. Starting, stopping, angle, stretch. Would one be better to push instead of pull?

On long lines I try to lock my hand in place and move my shoulder.. As if I were pin striping... Keeping my angle steady.

balooka

Premium Plus
First Name
Jay
Oh I have no problems with that to be honest... I hardly use 9 or 11 anyway so this is really a non-issue for me.

When I stretch wide diagonally (sp?) on an upper leg, the middle will be more bouncy in the middle than when I spread parallel to the leg. Must be me then ;)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Fast track your progress - The complete online tattooing course for beginners