New and looking for suggestions and guidance

Fast track your progress with the world's premier training program the Artist Accelerator

First Name
Kelsey
Hi everyone! I am just starting out and I’m looking for general advice, guidance and suggestions. What is your favorite ink, where is the best place to get supplies (websites and do they have recurring subscriptions), what is something you wish you knew starting out, etc. Anything and everything is welcome.

MalligaMallan

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Malin
@tattoo.morth.art
Hi Kelsey and welcome to the forum! ??? As for suppliers I figure you'd better get some advice from our fellow Americans, as shipping overseas is expensive.

DKJ

Premium
Media
First Name
Mathieu
thetattooyoyo
Welcome Kelsey!

I'm a beginner with only a few tattoos done, so from my fresh experience i would say:
- try first a cheap amazon kit with a coil machine and a rotary machine + fake skin, so you can see which one you like, if you're feeling that you like it, and be able to see how it works.
- if you like it, practice from the manual on fake skin, pig skin, banana, and when you feel ready, tattoo yourself or someone who is okay with it. And read read read all informations on this website (including books in the premium reference section), so you can compare all aspects of theory books and what is said here, it helps as you have the good tips repeated to you,
- don't rush, stay relaxed, draw a lot, and practice like crazy.
- start with little design asking for the most basic techniques (lining and packing), walk before you run,
- practicing and criticizing your works is the only way to evolve.

Peace,

DKJ

Jerry7297

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Jerry
Welcome. Amazon is pretty easy to find needles and some of the cheap Dragonhawk kits. Couple more links below I have used before.

TexasPT

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Mark
@marknovak5572
Howdy from Texas.

advice for beginners

slow down, it's not a race
stretch
never say ok to a tattoo you think you'll run out of talent on in the middle
stretch

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Fast track your progress - The complete online tattooing course for beginners