Need Some Advice On Light Source

Fast track your progress with the world's premier training program the Artist Accelerator

J_money

Premium
First Name
josh
hey guys I was needing some help with light source, I was doing a sunflower on the left arm and trying to decide were to put my shadows and light source, do you guys have a basic guideline you go off of for most of your designs since we're trying to make a 2d object 3d? how would you do your light source if you were doing the light from straight on, I know there's so many different kinds of light and there sources I'm just trying to break it down into a easier method, Thanks Guys!!!

balooka

Premium Plus
First Name
Jay
My choice would be to have it so that the source comes from the front of the person. So I (s)he is facing left, the light would come from top left, casting shadows on the right/bottom. I think that would be like facing the object forward/facing the front.

With straight on (omni/sun) light the drop shadow would be downwards. If it's a spot light the shadows are harsher than when it's with a soft box or sunlight. With a pin light only a part would be lit to full lumen and the left and right side of the flower would have some shade on it with dark dropshadow behind the flower, as if you use a flashlight. At least, that's how I draw :)

Jerry7297

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Jerry
Also when possible consider what part of the body your on. If its on a curve you can always shade it going with the flow of the body as well.

J_money

Premium
First Name
josh
I appreciate the advice guys, color and color theory have been really hard for me and someone explained that we see everything in light and that made it a lot easier but I have a problem sometimes on were to place my shadows and light source

TexasPT

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Mark
@marknovak5572
this is going to sound silly...but why not put a plant on a table and then move a lamp around it and see how it reacts from all sides?

There was a time, long ago, in art class where they actually used real lamps and real objects to study light source. :)

Reactions: JP

J_money

Premium
First Name
josh
this is going to sound silly...but why not put a plant on a table and then move a lamp around it and see how it reacts from all sides?

There was a time, long ago, in art class where they actually used real lamps and real objects to study light source. :)
I know guy aitchison uses clay, but thats a good Idea I appreciate it bro

troub1edsou1z

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Tom
These are all things you should know before tattooing. Color theory and light source are 2 different subjects. Basic elementary art classes teach shape and form. From this you understand basic things as, light source, shadow, drop shadow, reflective light. Color theory is the study of color and understanding what colors work together and how to use them to push an image back or pull it forward.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Fast track your progress - The complete online tattooing course for beginners