Machine Cleaning

Fast track your progress with the world's premier training program the Artist Accelerator

serafeimsc

Noobie :D
Premium
First Name
Andy
So all the manuals, and how to tattoo stuff, I have read goes into great detail about changing needles, clean workspace, and the typical stuff you would think about when doing a tattoo, to prevent disease transmission. I have thought of a few other things, such as your paper towel roll (could get dirty), but mostly have been thinking about the machine itself.

I use a bag over mine, so as not to get contaminated. I don't work out of a shop, and the machines i use have only touched me, and my rotary was used on a friend, who is pretty much a brother to me. We both know for a fact we dont' have any diseases, as I get tested yearly through the VA and since he and his girl broke up he got one done too (she cheated on him). We use disposables, and only take papertowels we need, and don't go back to the roll once we pull it off. I always get a fresh roll out when I'm doing a tattoo anyway. But even with that I think i'm being too picky. I mean, what if somehow during manufacturing soething got on the paper towels? I may be being a little cautious going that far, but it has crossed my mind!

However,

How often do you clean your machines?
How do you do it?

I'm assuming with the coils and some bits having plastic/rubber you can't exactly stick it in the autoclave, you have to disassemble it, but if you have found the sweetest tune, won't taking it apart and putting it back together ruin your tune?

I wipe mine down with alcohol and water, but thats just to keep it clean. The one machine I used I touched the frame/adjusters without a bag on while I was tattooing a pig skin. So needless to say that one is put up until I can get it sanitized.

maggot

Premium
Media
First Name
colin
if you bag up your machine and change gloves after set up there's no chance of contamination even if its contaminated i clean mine with trigene and alcohol wipes

Patrick

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Patrick
if you bag up your machine and change gloves after set up there's no chance of contamination even if its contaminated i clean mine with trigene and alcohol wipes

I clean my machines by wiping them with a alcohol wipe every time I use them and I strip my coil machines down about once every 3 months and give each part a good clean. I think you can clean them well enough without stripping down but I like doing it and it gives you the oppertunity to change springs etc if you need to.

jb62

Basic
First Name
John
I use a disinfectant that kills 99.9% of germs and wipe all part's then bag it till next use.
I do the same with clip cords.
Bottle's get a wipe over.

pahuska

Basic
First Name
Dave
I think that being sterile is a must, but i think people are getting confused. I was a medic in the army so know a bit about sterile enviroments. It's like i see people wearing gloves to set up, ok thats good but then they open thier needle pack and take out the needle. You have just contaminated the needle with whatever was on the outside of the pack (so didn't matter if you had gloves or not). to do sterile you should have someone open the pack and drop the needle onto a sterile surface for you to pick up. As you would in a opperational situation. Just going on things i saw on you tube.

serafeimsc

Premium
First Name
Andy
I agree there is a ton of stuff that is done in a surgical situation that i different from tattoo situation. from the way the room is sanitized to everything.. The question is... should tattoo shops be as sanitary as surgical ssituationss? Gowns/hairnets/masks?

fronshee

Premium
First Name
tess
my step dad had an operation on wednesday at the local hospital. He already has two infections. I don't think hospitals are very clean... I'd rather be operated on in a tattoo shop!

chunkymonkey

Premium
First Name
Ian
I use disposable everything, so what doesn't get disposed of gets cleaned with alcohol (everything from ink cup holder to the seats).

serafeimsc

Premium
First Name
Andy
What i'm getting at, that most people don't realize, especially if you dont' bag your machine, but have you ever been doing a tattoo, and say the coloring isn't coming out right, so you adjust the contact screw. Well right there you just contaminated your machine. If that person had HepC and u don't autoclave your machine, you could possibly pass on hepC... correct? I don't use in cup holder for that reason.. I have a bunch of popsicle/tounge depressors, I use to grab a glob of vasoline, then I put that on a papertowel that is on cling wrap, that is on a plastic table that gets sprayed with lysol, then washed with rubbing alcohol..... In my eyes I can never be too cautious.

mitoslav

Basic
First Name
mito
alcohol whipes, also I bag them from now on. Got tired of cleaning the machine everytime i finished tattooing

AksysGamer

Welcome To The Carnival
Premium
First Name
Kyle
I spray mine down with madacide/microcide whichever you prefer to call it.

Then spray it with WD40 to make sure that it doesnt rust and wipe down the entire machine making sure it is completely dry.

I also use machine bags / sandwich bags when tattooing no matter how clean it is.

robbo25

Basic
First Name
david
I totally understand what everyone is saying but sometimes people are over cautious not a bad thing at all. But how may people do you know or have heard of that have gone into a tattoo studio got ink ed and died of catching something not many now compare it to going into hospital you go in for an operation and come out with msra or something else life threatening which is more higher. Then also you got the bit of someone coming in with hep c or hiv aids. I think bag everything that you use if you have to touch the machine take the gloves of and put on a clean pair I don't think you can be more cautious then that. If you do everything possible to contain contamination it will happen but at a very low percentage. Not disagreeing with anything anyone has said on here just thought I would reply.

Patrick

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Patrick
It is best to make sure that your machines are tuned correctly before you start a tattoo then you won't need to adjust the contact screw or touch any part of the machine. I have never used cap holders as sticking them in a bit of vaseline works ok for me. If we we really want to go totally sterile we would need an assistant who is gowned, gloved and masked and we would need to do the same and everything in the room would have to be sterilized after each client Eg: floors clean, furniture walls in fact everything so it's about being sensible but also being realistic. My dentist uses the same gloves for my whole family when we have our check up and his overhead light isn't covered with cling film neither is the chair or worktops. I have been in several tattoo studios and have not yet seen anyone bag their machines and not all of them use clip cord covers. I know one studio that leaves the clip cord cover on all day and doesn't change it between clients. So regardless of what others do it is best that we follow the correct proceedures as best we can and still be pratical, if we want to be 100% sterile then we would probably have to work in a vacume. Personally if somebody put on the form that they have Hep B or HIV I wouldn't tattoo them.

cymek74

Premium Plus
Media
First Name
Steve
I think it is also important to think about how we are viewed by our clients and enemies. Sometimes we have to just do things in a certain way to make sure we are portraying ourselves in a certain way, the argument sometimes should be, how does it look from the outside, rather than how much chance is there for something to go wrong. I'm not advocating for a minute that we should just pretend to do the right things, of course we should do them for the right reasons, but also to not give others the chance to hypocritically slam us, we gotta get smart on these things.

mad tatter

Basic
First Name
Matt
I was recently treated like a skank when a friend of mine saw an autoclave on craig's list cheap, and told me about it. I said I don't need one because all my supplies and setup materials are 100% disposable. He said what about the machine. I told him that I clean it with chlorox before and after every procedure, and told him that an autoclave would ruin my machines. Well, that just wasn't good enough in his opinion. In my opinion, it's good enough. I bag my machines during use, clean them, and bag them when in storage. If in the event that I need to touch the contact screw during a procedure, I use a clean paper towel as well as the bag that's over it so I don't contaminate.

serafeimsc

Premium
First Name
Andy
Yeah, thats what I have been doing, but when touching things on the machine, I have the basic tune down. However sometimes I do need to touch it. For example, you start to color a piece, and notice that the ink is really light, first thing I would try is to check depth... So you have to adjust the tube. Just something i thought of. Glad this has turned into a great discussion.

Patrick

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Patrick
I was recently treated like a skank when a friend of mine saw an autoclave on craig's list cheap, and told me about it. I said I don't need one because all my supplies and setup materials are 100% disposable. He said what about the machine. I told him that I clean it with chlorox before and after every procedure, and told him that an autoclave would ruin my machines. Well, that just wasn't good enough in his opinion. In my opinion, it's good enough. I bag my machines during use, clean them, and bag them when in storage. If in the event that I need to touch the contact screw during a procedure, I use a clean paper towel as well as the bag that's over it so I don't contaminate.

I honestly don't know anybody (including all the pros) that autoclave their machines. You can't autoclave the coils so what's the point in doing any of it unless you replace the coils every time.:icon_eek: Ask your friend how many artists he knows of that clave their machines, this would mean having hell of a lot of spare machines or stripping them down between clients which would take a long time especially in a busy studio. I wipe mine down with alcohol wipes every time I use them and there is rarely any ink on the wipe. There would be no point in bagging machines if they are to be autoclaved.:icon_confused:

mad tatter

Basic
First Name
Matt
I honestly don't know anybody (including all the pros) that autoclave their machines. You can't autoclave the coils so what's the point in doing any of it unless you replace the coils every time.:icon_eek: Ask your friend how many artists he knows of that clave their machines, this would mean having hell of a lot of spare machines or stripping them down between clients which would take a long time especially in a busy studio. I wipe mine down with alcohol wipes every time I use them and there is rarely any ink on the wipe. There would be no point in bagging machines if they are to be autoclaved.:icon_confused:

That's what I told him. NOBODY claves their machines. He didn't seem to believe me. :icon_rolleyes: ...Well, I did see a video once advertising claveable machines, but I suspect not very many people actually use them.

AksysGamer

Welcome To The Carnival
Premium
First Name
Kyle
Absolutely NO ONE should EVER autoclave their machine.... Theres this thing called RUST.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Fast track your progress - The complete online tattooing course for beginners