Fast track your progress with the world's premier training program the Artist Accelerator

Rinkashi

Basic
First Name
Rinkashi
Hey everyone, im new here and started doing my first tattoos, i wonder if someone could help me, when i do lines, sometimes ink doesnt go into the skin, and i have to do 2 or more passes, sometimes even its like a weak gray line (im only using black), any tips or recomendations? Im posting a recent work, so hopefully i can get some feedback, thanks!
(Btw im using a rottary machine, between 6-7 volts and thia time i used a 3Rl)

soulskript

Premium
First Name
Sebastian
I had the same problem, and still do sometimes.
For me, and probably majority of people, it was all about not stretching the skin enough.
Some areas you really need to use your machine hand to pull that 3rd direction.

Other problems is a slow machine and too fast hand. Some areas you need more power (harder hit) so the needle doesnt bounce of the skin.

I would advice you to keep lining simpler pieces like the one above on places that are less visible. Its not bad at all from what i can see.

Forget about the motive and focus 100% on doing each small line the best you can, this mentality helped me.
It’s all about putting in the time, with every hour you learn something new.

Good luck and welcome to the forum

Rinkashi

Basic
First Name
Rinkashi
I had the same problem, and still do sometimes.
For me, and probably majority of people, it was all about not stretching the skin enough.
Some areas you really need to use your machine hand to pull that 3rd direction.

Other problems is a slow machine and too fast hand. Some areas you need more power (harder hit) so the needle doesnt bounce of the skin.

I would advice you to keep lining simpler pieces like the one above on places that are less visible. Its not bad at all from what i can see.

Forget about the motive and focus 100% on doing each small line the best you can, this mentality helped me.
It’s all about putting in the time, with every hour you learn something new.

Good luck and welcome to the forum
Thanks bro, i appreciate the tips and feedback :)!

DKJ

Premium
Media
First Name
Mathieu
thetattooyoyo
I'll just add and co-sign what soulskript just wrote:
- stay focused on tour needle depht (around 1,5 mm into the skin)
- stretch as much as you can
- be patient, go slower, you'll sink your lines more easily (but be carefull with your client's skin)
- doing double pass lines is not a problem, it's just where you're at today, you'll get to one pass with more experience (we all been there).

Peace,

DKJ

Rinkashi

Basic
First Name
Rinkashi
I'll just add and co-sign what soulskript just wrote:
- stay focused on tour needle depht (around 1,5 mm into the skin)
- stretch as much as you can
- be patient, go slower, you'll sink your lines more easily (but be carefull with your client's skin)
- doing double pass lines is not a problem, it's just where you're at today, you'll get to one pass with more experience (we all been there).

Peace,

DKJ

Dzikichrzan

Premium
First Name
Jakub
@dzikichrzan
especailly in this area where is a lot of skin its nightmare to line, but yeah, biggest enemy here is stretch. Always adjust your tehnique after each line if you not happy with previous one make sure to not make this same mistakes on next one, crank up volts, change direction, position, hand pressure etc...

Rinkashi

Basic
First Name
Rinkashi
especailly in this area where is a lot of skin its nightmare to line, but yeah, biggest enemy here is stretch. Always adjust your tehnique after each line if you not happy with previous one make sure to not make this same mistakes on next one, crank up volts, change direction, position, hand pressure etc...
Thanks! I appreciate the comments :)!

KyleBl4ck

Premium
Media
First Name
Kyle
MrSinister2099
sometimes even its like a weak gray line
It depends on what type of machine you are using tbh and as you stated you're using a rotary so this may be a few issues.

1 - Depth.
You're not going into the skin at the proper depth on a consistent enough basis for the lines to full saturate.
2 - Speed.
You might be moving way too fast for the voltage you have set. On my Spektra Xion, I have to run at 8.4 or higher to get a 1 pass / bold outline.
3 - Inconsistency.
This is the same as depth however there may be points you are not noticing where your hand is not fully at the same position it started with the machine / needle combo in the skin.

Practice tracing some cursive with a sharpie, youll see what I mean. If there are dots in the lines you're moving to slow. If there are skips / wobble breaks in the lines you're moving to fast

Rinkashi

Basic
First Name
Rinkashi
It depends on what type of machine you are using tbh and as you stated you're using a rotary so this may be a few issues.

1 - Depth.
You're not going into the skin at the proper depth on a consistent enough basis for the lines to full saturate.
2 - Speed.
You might be moving way too fast for the voltage you have set. On my Spektra Xion, I have to run at 8.4 or higher to get a 1 pass / bold outline.
3 - Inconsistency.
This is the same as depth however there may be points you are not noticing where your hand is not fully at the same position it started with the machine / needle combo in the skin.

Practice tracing some cursive with a sharpie, youll see what I mean. If there are dots in the lines you're moving to slow. If there are skips / wobble breaks in the lines you're moving to fast
Thanks! Ill try the sharpie practice :)!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Fast track your progress - The complete online tattooing course for beginners