Electric Autoclave/Pressure Cooker

Fast track your progress with the world's premier training program the Artist Accelerator

hYSobe

Premium
First Name
Jamie
Hey i have recently purchased 9Litre autoclave/pressure cooker from mania tattoo supplies (it arrived in awesome condition and top service thank you)

Just wondering it has an electric socket on the back of the clave

MANIA TATTOO SUPPLIES

Tattoo Equipment Sterilization - YouTube

I've watched this video many times thoroughly, however his device is slightly different to mine (don't think it has an electric socket on the back) i know the objective is to put distilled water into the clave and NOT let it run dry, was just wondering

It uses a lot of electric since the socket is nearly 1000w my dad told me who knows some stuff about electronics (16Amp, 240volts)

- has anyone else used one of these types before and has more accurate measurements of amount of distilled water and times/info?
- can i use this on the cooker (hob) as kage has in his video or can i ONLY use this electrically from a socket?

anyone with more info or experience with this it would be nice to discuss some things, trial and error is good to learn but just out of interest

many thanks!

TattooJay

Premium
First Name
Jay
The clave should come with full instructions if not best to send Mania a email and ask, they more then likely will know or be able to email you some Instructions

hYSobe

Premium
First Name
Jamie
yeah unfortunately it didn't come with full instruction :( just a certificate to show it's certified and in good order

hYSobe

Premium
First Name
Jamie
i have just been in touch

Reply:

Hi, no do not use the hob or gas to heat it it will melt the plastic part in the element. Always make sure that the water level is covering the element (including the round bit) and you will be fine. RE time ....plug it in, wait till the guage has reaches green ( or 15 i think it is from memory ) Once it has reache dthat temp then leave it running for 20 minutes then unplug it and everything will be sterile. Might be a good idea for you to get some test strips and put them in with your load then you will be able to see that your items are sterile once you have ran a cycle
thanks gary

i then replied with this

thank you for the quick reply, i have self seal sterile bags so hopefully they'll turn dark and all goes well!

i've just filled to the exact point you said slightly over the electric round bit and it's taken 5pints (2.8litres) surely that's too much and a hell of a lot distilled water to use each time?

cheers!

am i the only person who is thinking 2.8litres just for 1 course of sterilization is far too much? having to use 2.8 litres of distilled water after every tattoo is a bit too much i think hmm

robbo25

Basic
First Name
david
I have one similar it says use 3.5 litres of distilled water. You let it heat up with the release valves open until steam is flowing for 5mins so it's air tight then close the valve the pressure builds up once it hits 0.15 or over start the time ex's over 10 mins I do mine for about 20mins once time is done switch off hit the release valve up once pressure is zero undo lid leave for 15mins to cool take items out.

Hope this helps

TattooJay

Premium
First Name
Jay
Every clave is different its best to follow the instructions or what you were told from the supplier, I would have to believe they would know how there product works.

DJHicks

Ravin' Ink - Witham
Premium
First Name
David
This is just my general thoughts not actual fact... just thinking in a common sense way...

As the items are sealed in the bags technically any germs/viruses are locked in the bag.... the clave works via pressure and heat which obliterates the germs/viruses (which would still be in the bag)

I gather that in a busy studio environment they'd only top up the clave during the day and not put full fresh amount distilled water. Then at the end of the day empty clean and refill in the morning.

Obviously for the home studio not so busy then you'll be claving a few times a week maybe so most prob need a full amount each time etc.

Barber used to sell medical grade distilled water for about *£3.50 per 5L and its FREE POSTAGE! How I'm not sure as it does weigh a fair amount - I usually buy a bottle of ink or two out of guilt (thats the excuse I use to the Mrs's hahaha)

Must be back in stock http://www.barberdts.co.uk/distilled-water.html

hYSobe

Premium
First Name
Jamie
yeah it's going to be a pain chucking 2L of distilled water into a clave for every sterilization

i bought my last distilled water from amazon 7£ for 2 litres so that would work out 3.50per sterilization, kind of a lot if you think about it, depends how many grips/tips you have i only have 1 steel grip i like and i don't fancy claving that many times per week :(

for now i'm just going to buy a pack of 50 disposable tubes/needles and go from there and start to clave when i'm more financially stable, forked out a lot lately on many things :)

thank you as always !

edit: thanks DJhicks that's a very good price and wasn't aware of that!

DJHicks

Ravin' Ink - Witham
Premium
First Name
David
If your not going to do too much sterilizations then perhaps get 10 grips and eventually 10 of each tips (as they are only a *£1 or so each) and then you can do a nice big batch of stuff and be ok for a few weeks of work...

Rising Star

Premium
Media
If your not going to do too much sterilizations then perhaps get 10 grips and eventually 10 of each tips (as they are only a *£1 or so each) and then you can do a nice big batch of stuff and be ok for a few weeks of work...
[SUB][/SUB]

That's a good call right there - if you have gone to the trouble of getting a clave, a few more tips,grips and tubes won't hurt :icon_biggrin:

I never knew you needed so much water either! I was looking into getting an autoclave and will do as I progress but my thinking for not getting one was - say the cheapest new autoclaves are around 165+, by the time you purchase the steri pouches, distilled water, ultrasonic cleaner and all the other stuff you are looking at at least 250 quid. I then looked at how many disposable tubes I could get with the same money and my decision was made!

I gotta say though, I wish I had one, I much prefer the weight and feel of a steel tubr/grip - feels so much better in everyway than plastic. :icon_neutral:

DJHicks

Ravin' Ink - Witham
Premium
First Name
David
Don't forget if getting registered you'll need a yearly servicing contract.

GazB

Basic
First Name
Gaz
If you have a pressure cooker, autoclave or even a domestic food steamer, place in normal tap water.put a stainless steel bowl on the tray, turn it on once it vapourises into steam and falls in the bowl, it becomes distilled water, even if you run your autoclave without any implements the water when it becomes cold will have also become distilled.
Almost forgot to say, put a bag of Ice cubes on the lid to make it cool down.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Fast track your progress - The complete online tattooing course for beginners