Dark Souls 1 Inspired Tattoo

Fast track your progress with the world's premier training program the Artist Accelerator

John.D.Escu

Basic
First Name
John
@john.d.escu
Hei guys,

I just finished this long project, on practice skin, and as I was doing it, I had some issues.
How can I shade inside the small lines and details, like the armor piece and fingers? I used a Magnum needle for that and shaded with it`s edge but I feel like there should be some more efficient methods.
Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

DKJ

Premium
Media
First Name
Mathieu
thetattooyoyo
Nice design and clean work!

Depending on the size of the tattoo, i would'nt go on such tiny details, as it could end up in a very dark and messy tat.

A lighter under a 3 or 5rl could expand its needle and give you this little tool you need for shading these parts.

Peace,

DKJ

John.D.Escu

Basic
First Name
John
@john.d.escu
Nice design and clean work!

Depending on the size of the tattoo, i would'nt go on such tiny details, as it could end up in a very dark and messy tat.

A lighter under a 3 or 5rl could expand its needle and give you this little tool you need for shading these parts.

Peace,

DKJ
On some of those really small details I used a 1003 RL, but it was somehow cutting though the skin so I stopped using it.
I will use a 1205RL in the future and see how that will end up.
Thanks!

Cyberthrasher

Premium
First Name
Allen
allens_tattoo_art
I have some loose 5's I've used for shading in tight spots. I've also used tight 3's in my liner if that's what was sitting there. Using coils I'll just turn the voltage way down so I'm able to work the ink in with little force and a fast enough hand to not tear things up.

John.D.Escu

Basic
First Name
John
@john.d.escu
I have some loose 5's I've used for shading in tight spots. I've also used tight 3's in my liner if that's what was sitting there. Using coils I'll just turn the voltage way down so I'm able to work the ink in with little force and a fast enough hand to not tear things up.
Thanks! Lowering the voltage sounds like a good plan! :D

Cyberthrasher

Premium
First Name
Allen
allens_tattoo_art
Thanks! Lowering the voltage sounds like a good plan! :D
Note that that is with coils not a rotary/pen where voltage controls the speed. Voltage on a coil controls needle force. For a rotary/pen you'd probably do best with a shorter throw and lower speed.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Fast track your progress - The complete online tattooing course for beginners