Client is in alot of pain during session

Fast track your progress with the world's premier training program the Artist Accelerator

GemDaddy13

Basic
First Name
Matt
but she has had multiple Pieces blacked out pieces no less, on her left breast, right thigh. Inside each fore arm. but she can not seem to handle the pain at all. The client is my wife. But she has literally jump almost out of her seat, I'm not drilling her. It's at most 1mm. The first tattoo she had to get earbuds and lie down for it. So now she does Everytime any advice on how to make her more comfortable if I can't get her to sit better I just can't keep feeling like im hurting her.

GemDaddy13

Basic
First Name
Matt
Do you think that's it she is acting like a wuss because she's comfortable in being week Infront of me instead of strong for strangers? I feel like it's obviously psychological.

MalligaMallan

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Malin
@tattoo.morth.art
Do you think that's it she is acting like a wuss because she's comfortable in being week Infront of me instead of strong for strangers? I feel like it's obviously psychological.

Definitelyyyy! I've tattooed my man and my son numerous times and their threshold level for complaining is always down to zero. Or -5.

DKJ

Premium
Media
First Name
Mathieu
thetattooyoyo
I had the opposite experience with my boy holding it for 2x3 hours and my wife taking sessions of 2/3 hours for 6 repeated days before she started to complain (and many others).

So... No generalization!

Where are you tattoing her?

Peace,

DKJ

MalligaMallan

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Malin
@tattoo.morth.art
I had the opposite experience with my boy holding it for 2x3 hours and my wife taking sessions of 2/3 hours for 6 repeated days before she started to complain (and many others).

So... No generalization!

Peace,

DKJ

You're the exception that proves the rule, Mathieu 😅 Ask anyone on here!

• Haha
Reactions: DKJ

GemDaddy13

Basic
First Name
Matt

So... No generalization!

Peace,

DKJ
Side of the calf she kicked me 3 times jumping in pain, I also noticed she starts making the body language of excessive pain when I get close with the machines. SMH. yesterday was side of the hand for key and locket tattoo (cliché) I know, but she insisted on something super quick and begged me. this thing should have been done on two second, she gotta have ear buds lay down and watching something distracting which does not distract. Really believe it's psychosomatic and it's just because it's me doing it.

Cyberthrasher

Premium
First Name
Allen
allens_tattoo_art
There's a lot there about mentally playing it up. But, if she's never been like this with anybody else, perhaps it really is something with your technique. Have you made any adjustments to your setup or how you're running the machines to try accommodating her? You say it's "no more than 1mm", but even that doesn't mean you're not overworking an area or have your machine hitting with too much force. We're all going to get people with different pain tolerances and different skin types that might require an adjustment to how we work in order to maintain a minimal level of comfort.

Big Pete

Premium
First Name
Peter
Family members are always a challenge to tattoo....they tend to behave differently than what they would if they were being tattooed by a stranger. When I tattooed my stepson, he constantly moaned and moved until I stopped tattooing and told him to go get it finished at the studio in town....he settled down after that, but I told him I would never tattoo him again.
My daughter on the other hand sat for 6 hours for a thigh tattoo and didn't complain a bit.

KyleBl4ck

Premium
Media
First Name
Kyle
MrSinister2099
Significant others will always react worse towards you tattooing them. Trust me. My apprenticeship consisted of 6 months of only tattooing my wife and it wasn't fun.

GemDaddy13

Basic
First Name
Matt
There's a lot there about mentally playing it up. But, if she's never been like this with anybody else, perhaps it really is something with your technique. Have you made any adjustments to your setup or how you're running the machines to try accommodating her? You say it's "no more than 1mm", but even that doesn't mean you're not overworking an area or have your machine hitting with too much force. We're all going to get people with different pain tolerances and different skin types that might require an adjustment to how we work in order to maintain a minimal level of comfort.
Yes I've made every attempt to make her comfortable, this is my wife so I feel terrible about her being in ANY pain. I've used lidocaine 4% witch hazel tho wipe the ink. There's is barely any swelling. I just don't know what else I can do. I switch from pulling lines to pushing lines, to doing the "airplane landing on runway and then taking off That one seems to be the best way for her. But she done after a single pass. There is absolutely no blow out whatsoever. Is there any other type of techniques I could try that you recommend?

Cyberthrasher

Premium
First Name
Allen
allens_tattoo_art
How are you using the lidocaine? Getting lines in first and then applying it, leaving it to sit until numb? Most lidocaine products require the skin to be open first, which makes it really hard for trouble clients. I'm experimenting with different creams to start the process right now, allowing me to get lines in and get the skin opened up enough for lidocaine spray to work without having to use to much.

Cyberthrasher

Premium
First Name
Allen
allens_tattoo_art
As far as technique, there's not lot I can say without actually seeing what you're doing. You do seem to be hung up on depth as a measure of pain (blowouts and needle depth aren't good measures of pain). Take a look at what you can do about needle force. Look at needle stroke and the needle groupings as alternative things to troubleshoot. Smaller groupings usually hurt more because of the smaller point of impact. Add a longer stroke machine onto it and she's likely to fee more pain if she's used to people using short throw machines (which you really have no way of knowing).

GemDaddy13

Basic
First Name
Matt
How are you using the lidocaine? Getting lines in first and then applying it, leaving it to sit until numb? Most lidocaine products require the skin to be open first, which makes it really hard for trouble clients. I'm experimenting with different creams to start the process right now, allowing me to get lines in and get the skin opened up enough for lidocaine spray to work without having to use to much.
Okay yeah I didn't think that I could use lidocaine on open skin so no yeah I was applying it 30 to 40 minutes before we started I understood that that was the best way to go to make sure that you get the maximum amount of numbness but it's a cream. So you actually can apply it to skin that has been freshly tattooed?

Cyberthrasher

Premium
First Name
Allen
allens_tattoo_art
Okay yeah I didn't think that I could use lidocaine on open skin so no yeah I was applying it 30 to 40 minutes before we started I understood that that was the best way to go to make sure that you get the maximum amount of numbness but it's a cream. So you actually can apply it to skin that has been freshly tattooed?
No, not with the cream. The cream has ingredients to help it penetrate skin and should only be used pre-procedure. You can try leaving it on longer, like one or two hours. There are lidocaine sprays that are to be used during the procedure and only work after the skin is broken. I use either Vasocaine or Ink-Eeze "B-Numb".

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Fast track your progress - The complete online tattooing course for beginners