Cartridge Systems

Fast track your progress with the world's premier training program the Artist Accelerator

TattooJay

Premium
First Name
Jay
I feel many artists have over looked how great and revolutionary the cartridge systems actually are. Many also just don't have a great understanding of them.

Talk about a great system:

1. Needles are always stable and run consistent every time.
2. Time saver, change needles on the fly.
3. eliminates the need for multiple machine setups.
4. Line weight, finer details = No problem.
5. A nice clean setup.

I think what shuns many away from the cartridge systems is that artists that do not have a autoclave are unsure if they need one or not. Since many artists use a fully disposable setup.

This is just my view on it:

I do not feel the autoclave is needed with the cartridge systems. The cartridge is your tube and needle, and they are disposable. Now the big debatable question is what about the driver bar and the grip?

I feel the system is safe if you bag your grip, the bag can go on the inside part where you insert your cartridge, there may just be a small hole in the bag from the top of the cartridge where the driver bar hits. But it should be enough to contain any damage if you get a leak, which is rare.

But after your tattoo u should be able to spray and wipe the tube and be good. Because more then likely your cartridges will not break.

Now what I am unsure of is:

What happens if you do have a cartridge break? Do you have to clave then? Or would the bag be enough to stop the spread contamination? All good questions. Looking at the Hawk, they say there cartridge will not leak. And there in lays the problem, many people shy away from the cartridge system because they do not want to use the hawk cartridges do to their pricing.
The T-tech, VS Tattoo, and Cherry Tattoo have fair pricing for their cartridges, but will they bust and if so do you need a clave?

Testing:

I have a T-Tech system and purchased some cartridges from VS Tattoo on DHgate. My first test on piggy I ran some lines, but it was a test to see if the cartridge would leak. I filled a #18 large ink cup up. I ran the machine in the ink cup, I over submerged the cartridge and ran it etc..
After testing I disposed of the cartridge and took the bag off and disposed of that. No leaks what so ever.

I would say if you are using a cartridge system and bagging it, it would eliminate the need for a autoclave. That being said, if a cartridge did bust, you could just replace the system you are using, especially if you are using a t-tech system.

Final Thoughts:

If you have a clave you are ahead of the game and can handle anything that a cartridge system will throw at you.

If you do not more then likely you can operate safely if you are smart about it. Cartridges busting seem like a rare enough thing. And I do not feel it would be a big deal to set aside a dollar each tattoo you did to replace a T-Tech tube if the rare bust ever did happen to replace your tube.

Other then that, I feel everyone especially rotary users give the cartridge system a try. I personally real feel that it is revolutionary. And it is just amazing to have all those needle options at your finger tips to use in a piece. You for sure will find yourself using a extra cartridge or two on some pieces that you do.

Links:

T-Tech Tattoo Device, Tattooing made easier

Wholesale 100Pcs Permanent Makeup Eyebrow Needles Assorted Mixed Size for Rotary Machine Pen EN-100, $0.49-0.56/Piece | DHgate

juanchanpunx

Basic
First Name
juan
I have two coil (linning/shading) and one rotary (color packer).... saving for a cheyenne!!(have all in one :icon_twisted:) as soon as I saw that system I fell in love with it!! I personally think its bad ass!!!!
I really cant answer u're questions but I can leach of u're thread and hope to gain some knowledge on this!!!:icon_mrgreen:

trefall

Basic
First Name
Leo
Just looking at the cartridges Jay posted, the concept is, you fill the cartridge with ink so you don't have to keep dipping in the cup? If a cartridge broke(leaked) I don't see anymore potential contamination than a normal set-up of re-dipping. If I'm f*cked up or trying to answer the wrong question tell me. :icon_mrgreen:

TattooJay

Premium
First Name
Jay
Just looking at the cartridges Jay posted, the concept is, you fill the cartridge with ink so you don't have to keep dipping in the cup? If a cartridge broke(leaked) I don't see anymore potential contamination than a normal set-up of re-dipping. If I'm f*cked up or trying to answer the wrong question tell me. :icon_mrgreen:
No the Cartridge system Is your needle and your tube. You have to keep dipping in the ink pot just as you would a regular tube and needle. I just wanted to point out to everyone how great the cartridge system is and how it is worth a try, especially with rotary machines.

No real questions to answer in the orignal post, just wanted everyone to check out what the cartridge systems were all about. And possibly have a healthy debate over how sterile the system was if anything.

TattooJay

Premium
First Name
Jay
I have two coil (linning/shading) and one rotary (color packer).... saving for a cheyenne!!(have all in one :icon_twisted:) as soon as I saw that system I fell in love with it!! I personally think its bad ass!!!!
I really cant answer u're questions but I can leach of u're thread and hope to gain some knowledge on this!!!:icon_mrgreen:
The system is really revolutionary, you find yourself grabbing more needles in a tattoo. Like some traditional pieces look good with a round shader in some spots, this system makes it very easy to change between a round shader/mag on the fly. Also take something like a sugar skull, somewhat bold outline, but really fine detail on the inside. Switching between differt liner shaders are no problem. Way better then setting up 3-4 machines for one tattoo. Or better then stopping the tattoo to setup for a different liner and shader and making your client sit while you replace your tube, bend the needle etc..

Hawks are nice, but until I can afford a thunder I am digging this setup. The only thing I do not like is there is no needle clip for the driver bar, so still have to use a band wrapped around a few times.

017.jpg

This thing has a strong motor and probably is just as powerful if no more powerful then the Hawks. It is also real silent. Same as the old Hildbrandt Assassins, except with a better clip cord connection. The only thing I don't like is no needle clip, and no RCA. I can add the RCA if I wanted though, wouldnt know how to add the needle clip, like what they have on the dragonflys.

Link to the Machine: Wholesale New Professional Rotray Tattoo Machine Gun Shader Liner No Noise M613, $13.77-16.96/Piece | DHgate

They are going for a great price.

Also using these bags from unimax but any bag will work just as well: Barrier Sleeves, CLip Cord Cover

They are made for the hawk but still work great with the T-Tech grips. I can also see not buying a hawk and using another rotary machine with the T-Tech setup. Like a stigma V3 or a good knock off that is powerful enough and that has RCA and something to keep the driver bar stable. Like a needle clip or somethin.

trefall

Basic
First Name
Leo
Jay,
So what's the difference between that cartridge system and buying 'disposable tube, grip and needle' sets? Is the bar connection different so it's quicker and easier, or something?

juanchanpunx

Basic
First Name
juan
Jay,
So what's the difference between that cartridge system and buying 'disposable tube, grip and needle' sets? Is the bar connection different so it's quicker and easier, or something?

Huuuuuge time saving diference... yo only have to change th "tip" or cartridge without removing the entire tube and grip, if you ar using ruber bands to stabilize you dont have to remove them cause the needle bar is no atached to the cartridge... you just twist off. And change without changing anything else.... so yeah, its a nice diference

covertmaniac

Premium
Media
First Name
Carl
Jay, in your photo the cartridge looks like the cheaper version from china, are these any good?

does anyone know of a supplier in the uk of the t tech system?

thanks in advance

Optimus11

Premium
First Name
Jimmy "Spartan"
Im digging the formula 1 style needle change, but my problem is that each of my machines is setup different for different purposes i.e long stroke short stroke, 38mm abar 42mm abar etc so each machine is set for a certain task,

wereas having just one machine setup for everything doesnt work for me i dont think.

but good thread nonetheless.

Patrick

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Patrick
The system is really revolutionary, you find yourself grabbing more needles in a tattoo. Like some traditional pieces look good with a round shader in some spots, this system makes it very easy to change between a round shader/mag on the fly. Also take something like a sugar skull, somewhat bold outline, but really fine detail on the inside. Switching between differt liner shaders are no problem. Way better then setting up 3-4 machines for one tattoo. Or better then stopping the tattoo to setup for a different liner and shader and making your client sit while you replace your tube, bend the needle etc..

Hawks are nice, but until I can afford a thunder I am digging this setup. The only thing I do not like is there is no needle clip for the driver bar, so still have to use a band wrapped around a few times.

View attachment 7297

This thing has a strong motor and probably is just as powerful if no more powerful then the Hawks. It is also real silent. Same as the old Hildbrandt Assassins, except with a better clip cord connection. The only thing I don't like is no needle clip, and no RCA. I can add the RCA if I wanted though, wouldnt know how to add the needle clip, like what they have on the dragonflys.

Link to the Machine: Wholesale New Professional Rotray Tattoo Machine Gun Shader Liner No Noise M613, $13.77-16.96/Piece | DHgate

They are going for a great price.

Also using these bags from unimax but any bag will work just as well: Barrier Sleeves, CLip Cord Cover

They are made for the hawk but still work great with the T-Tech grips. I can also see not buying a hawk and using another rotary machine with the T-Tech setup. Like a stigma V3 or a good knock off that is powerful enough and that has RCA and something to keep the driver bar stable. Like a needle clip or somethin.

Hi Jay thanks for the thread, but I'm confused here. The set up above appears to have a needle bar attached and tube & grip but, I can't see a needle, are you suggesting that the cartridge will fit into the grip and secure it the same way as a tip? If so how do you actually get the machine/needle bar to drive the cartridge? This might be a dumb ass question but I have never used a cartridge type and I am also a dumb ass.:icon_lol:

toetoe62

Premium Plus
First Name
Tony
it is a way of using the hawk cartridge without buying the hawk machine, i used the same system before i had the hawk.
this is the address for t-tech (ttechtattoo@gmail.com) i don't think you can order from the uk you have to oder from canada so it is pointless ordering small amounts, i order about *£100 worth at a time but the hawk cartridges are about *£23 for a box of 10 where the t-tech will be about *£15 for a box of 20 so there is a big difference, if their is a few of you on here interested then you could always club together and buy between you, i forgot to say that the conversion kit in the photo is about *£15, very cheep for watt it does.
hawk tube.jpg

covertmaniac

Premium
Media
First Name
Carl
they dont have any conversion kits in at the mo, checked this morning...... what sort of shipping do you pay? and duty if any?

TattooJay

Premium
First Name
Jay
Jay, in your photo the cartridge looks
like the cheaper version from china, are these any good?
does anyone know of a supplier in the uk of the t tech system?
thanks in advance
Yes they are from China, like I said in the first post I tested them and tried to get them to leak and they did not. The link for the needles is at the bottom of the orignal post. T-tech does not have any distributors at the moment, so you would have to order from there main site. There link is also in this thread.

Im digging the formula 1 style needle change, but my problem is
that each of my machines is setup different for different purposes i.e long stroke short stroke,
38mm abar 42mm abar etc so each machine is set for a certain task,
wereas having just one machine setup for everything doesnt work for me i dont think.
but good thread nonetheless.
Mainly this is a great system for rotary machines. But it does work with coil machines as well. If you like different stroke lengths as I do, you should try a adjustable rotary machine, you will have one machine in the palm of your hand that does all.

Hi Jay thanks for the thread,
but I'm confused here.
The set up above appears
to have a needle bar attached
and tube & grip but, I can't see a needle, are you suggesting that the cartridge will
fit into the grip and secure it the same way as a tip? If so how do you actually get the machine/needle bar to drive
the cartridge? This might be a dumb ass question but I have never used a cartridge type and I am also a dumb ass.
It's not a needle bar it is a driver bar. Driver Bar: T-TECH EZ Needle Long Drive Bar L88D65 [L88D65] - $1.95 : T-Tech Tattoo Device, Tattooing made easier
That driver bar is what is used to drive the cartridge, and set your needle depth on the cartridge.
The Tube is what is used to hold the driver bar & hold the cartridges in place. Tube: T-TECH EZ Standard Grips 25mm [SD25] - $15.95 : T-Tech Tattoo Device, Tattooing made easier
However unlike a standard tube, these tubes do not get dirty if you bag them. The cartridge is your needle and tube in one, and they are fully disposable. They can be change in under 5 seconds to the next needle grouping. Cartridge: Round Liner 1205RL [C1205RL] - $17.00 : T-Tech Tattoo Device, Tattooing made easier

TattooJay

Premium
First Name
Jay
Cartridge system updates:

T-Tech has said they should have a fully working disposable cartridge system within 3 months.

Rumor has it that you can remove the tip on humming bird disposable tubes and it will fit a needle cartridge giving you a fully disposable system. I have not tested this yet so I can't confirm, but I will.

oultimer

Premium
First Name
jim
they dont have any conversion kits in at the mo, checked this morning...... what sort of shipping do you pay? and duty if any?
Hi i have a conversion kit with 3 needle bars for sale if you want it *£12 inc postage pm me if you want it:icon_biggrin:Picture 003.jpg

covertmaniac

Premium
Media
First Name
Carl
it works well, the only down side is needle depth is not adjustable at the grip like the cheyne, hooked up to a rotary used for shading/packing, you are able to switch from 1 size needle grouping to another in seconds which is a bonus on big pieces where you need several size groupings

toetoe62

Premium Plus
First Name
Tony
Now Will The Cartridge System Work With Any Tattoo Machine?

yes you can use any machine, it's just the same as putting a needle bar on to the machine except the needle bar doesn't have needles on the end it has a rubber piece that hits the cartridge to make it go up and down and you adjust the depth just the same as you would any other tube, just undo the vice clamp and push the tube up or down, i'v had one for well over a year now and it works great but i now use the hawk spirit and thunder so it doesn't get used now.

- - - Updated - - -

iNeuron

Premium
First Name
Janis
For someone who has never heard of cartridge system, absolutely none of the posts were understandable. Great.
Could at least put some sort of an explanation or how it works, rather than start from why something, some people might have no idea of, is good

toetoe62

Premium Plus
First Name
Tony
For someone who has never heard of cartridge system, absolutely none of the posts were understandable. Great.
Could at least put some sort of an explanation or how it works, rather than start from why something, some people might have no idea of, is good
their is not a lot to understand, you just set them up like you would any other machine and put the needle cartridge into the end, job done, it's not rocket science.

TexasPT

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Mark
@marknovak5572
Janis-there are links all over the place above you.

I don't get it. How is this better than just going disposable? Just being able to use the heavier grip? (which IS a plus)

Mark

iNeuron

Premium
First Name
Janis

I don't get it. How is this better than just going disposable? Just being able to use the heavier grip? (which IS a plus)

Mark

Yeah every picture is of a needle with some rubber or plastic jigglypuff at the end of it, so is every link. Doesnt say much.
But yeah, thanks for all the info I guess, Ill go google it now.

toetoe62

Premium Plus
First Name
Tony

Mark
i suppose if you think of it as being the same as using the hawk spirit then you don't have to autoclave the grip as long as you use covers for it when you tattoo and you can change the tips in seconds then it probably is better than disposable and if you use ttech needles then it will cost about the same, they are certainly better than paying out for a fake hawk machine that doesn't last five minuets.

TexasPT

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Mark
@marknovak5572
I didn't consider the multiple needles...that would be nice.

Shanksy

Basic
First Name
Andy
Are the hawk clones any good? I am used to using coils and only recently bought a df clone which I find to be a great machine so I've been looking more into rotarys since and the genuine hawks look to be awesome machines but I can't afford to be buying one just yet I think the wife might just kill me lol

TattooJay

Premium
First Name
Jay

Mark
Don't know if you wanted to hear it from me or not but if you bag the grip like mine is in my Avatar you Technically should not have to autoclave unless you ever had a cartridge break, but even then if you catch it in time the bag should prevent the contamination. Meaning you would just have to clean the grip with medicide, but having a cartridge break is rare. So you just need to do a medicide wipe down or bath after every tattoo to keep the grip sterile.

Now T-tech is supposed to be releasing a fully disposable system very soon Next month or two according to them.

Also I have not tried it yet but I do hear if you take a humming bird grip from friction you can pop the tip out and putting a cartridge in there fits nice and tight, just use a needle bar without needles as your driver bar and you now have a fully disposable system. For a great price to boot. Well truth be told the humming bird tubes are produced in China, so if you know how to order direct, you can get boxes of 20 tubes for around $12 USD or so. Maybe someone else can confirm this who has tried it.

tatsyboomer

Basic
First Name
Bobby Stevens
T-Tech system sucks bigtime. Ink travels up the tube and then contaminating things. A lot of my artist friends are having such problems with them and have decided not to work with ttech anymore. The hype is over. back to regular needle on bar for me! Besides ttech cant ever keep shit in stock either.

TattooJay

Premium
First Name
Jay
Are the hawk clones any good? I am used to using coils and only recently bought a df clone which I find to be a great machine so I've been looking more into rotarys since and the genuine hawks look to be awesome machines but I can't afford to be buying one just yet I think the wife might just kill me lol
Some of the Hawk clones people say run about the same as the original, I took one apart and was gonna see if I can replace the motor with a swiss motor, the motor had the bearing nail pressed on their so they could not come off and the inner driver bar looked cheapish. They do work and do the job. I may mees with more in the future.

Many of the cheaper clones are good to a point and sometimes you do find a diamond in the ruff.
Other then that even the cheap ones will do the job and may produce you 20 tattoos or so and work well for a couple hundred hours of use but then the motor may go to shit etc.. So if you know how to work on these machines replace a motor and a springs etc.. You can end up with a great machine. But a lot of the $30 clones more then likely will not last a month or two in a busy shop environment. Depends how often you tattoo. 5 tattoos a day or 5 tattoos a month with the motor being able to rest etc.. Big difference if you look at it like that.

TattooJay

Premium
First Name
Jay
T-Tech system sucks bigtime. Ink travels up the tube and then contaminating things. A lot of my artist friends are having such problems with them and have decided not to work with ttech anymore. The hype is over. back to regular needle on bar for me! Besides ttech cant ever keep shit in stock either.
Cheyenne makes a system as well try that if you want. Many artists have used T-tech systems with great success, I personally never had any ink travel up the tube. The whole cartridge system actually should stop the issue of ever having ink travel up the tube if used properly. I guess to each there own though, not everyone likes the cartridge system.

toetoe62

Premium Plus
First Name
Tony

i have used t-tech for over a year now and i haven't had one that as leaked and i really can't see how ink can travel up the tube, i have gone back to using hawk cartridges for lining purely because i can see the line better with them but i still use t-tach for my round shaders and mags, in fact i have had more problems with the hawk cartridge than the t-tech but that was some of the needles where barbed but had no other problem with any of them.

TattooJay

Premium
First Name
Jay
i have used t-tech for over a year now and i haven't had one that as leaked and i really can't see how ink can travel up the tube, i have gone back to using hawk cartridges for lining purely because i can see the line better with them but i still use t-tach for my round shaders and mags, in fact i have had more problems with the hawk cartridge than the t-tech but that was some of the needles where barbed but had no other problem with any of them.
I just used the hawk 19mm fixed grip tonight with my Firefly, they are not bad. I got it from unimax and I must say those hawk cartridges are nice, It came with 3 hawk cartridges for testing, One was a nine power, and that grouping was spot on. The cheaper China cartridges I posted early in this thread I was getting a lot of bad ones over time. May just roll with T-tech from now on or change it up like you are doing hawk & T-tech.

I really wish Cheyenne would just lower there prices a bit on needles, give us 15 for $30 a box instead of 10. Even $30 for 20 I would buy all day long.

toetoe62

Premium Plus
First Name
Tony
I just used the hawk 19mm fixed grip tonight with my Firefly, they are not bad. I got it from unimax and I must say those hawk cartridges are nice, It came with 3 hawk cartridges for testing, One was a nine power, and that grouping was spot on. The cheaper China cartridges I posted early in this thread I was getting a lot of bad ones over time. May just roll with T-tech from now on or change it up like you are doing hawk & T-tech.

I really wish Cheyenne would just lower there prices a bit on needles, give us 15 for $30 a box instead of 10. Even $30 for 20 I would buy all day long.
it's just a matter of tying different ones out to see what you get along with better but the problem is the hawk cartridge cost a lot of cash but like you have said the hawks needles are very nice to use and if you like the t-tech then you will certainly like the hawk needles, and if you put the extra bit on top of the price of a tattoo the price is something you don't even think about, also the benefits of using them are worth the extra cash like healing time can be cut in half and i have had plenty of people saying how much more comfortable they felt with me using this system, some couldn't last much over than an hour before but have sat for about three hours with no complaints and like i have said before you are better spending your money on this grip and cartridges than buying a fake hawk spirit that will not last you five minuets.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Fast track your progress - The complete online tattooing course for beginners