Bookmark

Fast track your progress with the world's premier training program the Artist Accelerator

Skindeeptattoos

Premium
Media
First Name
Regena
image.jpg My son did this book mark for a contest at his school. He says it's missing something but don't know what. He thought about putting one of those word bubbles next to the boy that says Reading is Magic. What do you all thnk?
This is for K-5th grade that's about 5 years old to 11
He is 7 and I know he is my son but I think it's pretty cool. I put it on my light box that's why the boy has a shadow around him it's a cut out

MalligaMallan

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Malin
@tattoo.morth.art
Well done for a 7 year old (y) If he wants a word bubble of course he shall put one there. But if he feels something is missing it perhaps is the empty areas behind the person in picture, and that there is no actual ground? I'm not saying he should do anything about it, one doesn't have to fill every spot in a picture, but if he feels something is missing, perhaps it is that? :)

marked 4 life

Premium Gold
First Name
A
A few coloured rain droplets off the umbrella, a few books stacked behind him at odd angles to see the edges and binders, even sitting on a book.

Skindeeptattoos

Premium
Media
First Name
Regena
I will tell him I hope he can use it as the crayons and silhouettes He made on Photoshop it didn't say in the rules you couldn't use photoshop. Just said you couldn't use copy written material.

MalligaMallan

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Malin
@tattoo.morth.art
Absolutely! And one can't just follow instructions, one has to think for one self also. Sa hi to your son from me :) What is his name?

marked 4 life

Premium Gold
First Name
A
Excellent, that fills in the spaces nicely and the position of the boy sitting and reading is a more natural position than the other image, give him a pat on the back from me. :)

Rising Star

Premium
Media
Great for your son being creative and all - I would completely support that, who wouldn't?

Great for also sharing, being a proud mum and all, I get it - you are over the moon that he is showing potential and all.

What bugs me a tiny bit is the fact that it is a 7 year old kids efforts that you are looking for advice on a tattoo forum, feeding it back to him and letting him pass it off as his own work - you're a great mum and all, seeing the potential, and wanting him to do well - who wouldn't? But not only do you help, you ask for the help of a whole site to help him try and win?

I dunno, I'm fully preparing to be attacked for my opinion, It just doesn't feel right having the kids mum using a site like this to add finishing touches for a competition - maybe for a birthday card, poster or general piece of work, but not to try and win a competition against other 5th graders?

I know that you are a proud mum, I totally get that, but do you not see anything wrong with this? Like I said, Not for him to better maybe a birthday card or drawing for fun, but to beat other children that are most likely doing it without a forum of over 800 people?

Look, maybe I'm wrong, maybe its the world we live in but....

Skindeeptattoos

Premium
Media
First Name
Regena
Dear Asshat

Actually he sees me upload pics on this site and asked. He's the one who asked me to ask. So I didn't figure it would hurt and he is the one who created the whole piece mostly on Photoshop then painted the color.
I make digital backgrounds for photography studios and one day he wanted to learn photoshop so I showed him. He probably knows photoshop better then I do. He knows how to make brushes, patterns and he helps me with backgrounds. Check these out he did them

Also he is not a 5th grader he is a second grader going against 5th graders.

Anyway check out the back grounds he did these are just a few.

And even if I didn't have this forum, say hypothetically you all lived close and he asked me to ask all of my friends , (you all) what I wouldn't ask because you all are too creative for that? It isn't like I asked anyone to design him a book mark. No he thought something was missing and asked me if I could ask my " artist friends" how they like it and what they thought it was missing. No big deal. I'm sure half of the kids that enter the contest their parents probably do it for them anyways. And it's not like he's going to win 100 thousand or anything. The top 5 get their winning bookmark in hard form.

Yeah maybe over 800 people here but only 2 cared to help him out.

It's funny because usually when I am browsing the forums he looks forward to seeing the newly posted drawings and tattoos. He envies just about all of you for your talents.
And he knew you would give him an honest opinion.

When you have a child that shows interest in what you do and like. That just makes any parent feel so excited and proud. A child sees the love and passion you have for whatever it is you do and wants to put that same love and passion in the things he or she does. That's just awesome.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 0

MalligaMallan

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Malin
@tattoo.morth.art
Great for your son being creative and all - I would completely support that, who wouldn't?

Great for also sharing, being a proud mum and all, I get it - you are over the moon that he is showing potential and all.

What bugs me a tiny bit is the fact that it is a 7 year old kids efforts that you are looking for advice on a tattoo forum, feeding it back to him and letting him pass it off as his own work - you're a great mum and all, seeing the potential, and wanting him to do well - who wouldn't? But not only do you help, you ask for the help of a whole site to help him try and win?

I dunno, I'm fully preparing to be attacked for my opinion, It just doesn't feel right having the kids mum using a site like this to add finishing touches for a competition - maybe for a birthday card, poster or general piece of work, but not to try and win a competition against other 5th graders?

I know that you are a proud mum, I totally get that, but do you not see anything wrong with this? Like I said, Not for him to better maybe a birthday card or drawing for fun, but to beat other children that are most likely doing it without a forum of over 800 people?

Look, maybe I'm wrong, maybe its the world we live in but....

Ouch. I agree with Dave here. If this is the case. I thought you asked us, being a proud mom, but that he didn't know. I thought he came up with the idea himself and it happened to be about the same as I and Andy suggested. You wrote "That's what he said", to me that meant that he said it himself, not that he said what we said.

If it's in a competition or not is not the most important I think, but a child grows of learning to use and believe his own ideas, not copying. In short words.

Using photoshop is not copying, asking us and letting him know and use or suggestions is. And it would have been if you would have asked friends or what not. If it would have been only you and him talking about it, it still would have been your task to talk to him a way that makes_him_think and makes him feel that his ideas are ok. That's one of the tricky parts of being a parent.

I'm sorry I was so stupid and didn't understand this whole situation better.

Last edited:

marked 4 life

Premium Gold
First Name
A
My daughter is 14 and an amazing artist, her work has to be seen to be believed, sometimes she gets a mental block or asks for some ideas or direction, only last night we sat down and went through some ideas, I love helping her and she likes my input, last night was power lining with different pens, basics of dotwork and dotwork as shading, she checks out the way tattoos are drawn and looks at others designs for inspiration, all we did for Regina was offered some suggestions, how she or her son interpreted them is down to them, he will take on board what we suggested and store it and hopefully learn from it, he is only young and probably really excited, we all wanted to win at that age.

How many parents helped their kids to make fancy dress costumes or easter bonnets at school to help them win, same thing, not as though it is a national competition with a big cash prize at the end of it.

MalligaMallan

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Malin
@tattoo.morth.art
Yes I saw that when reading again this morning. I missed that the other day, didn't read that thoroughly. My mistake. Still, if you're talking to me, I don't think the contest is the main thing.

I'm absolutely not saying you kept it a secret, and there's no reason we should use hard words over a thing like this. To me it's more important to get different points of views how to tackle these matters with a kid. I've been dealing with it for a bit myself, having a 17 yearold son (Carl). Andys comment is another way to look at it. Still I think your situation with Rhett is different than the situation Andy described with his daughter.

It's this sometimes fine line between getting inspiration and copying. A loooooot of tattooers copy and we accept it most of the times. But we're talking about Rhett and what is best for him in the long run. Doing things as a kid is mostly about growing by learning, not accomplish a level. If you ask me.

Writing in English may do me a bit shortspoken, is hard to say the exact things I want sometimes. I excuse for that.

Only want the best for you and Rhett.

Skindeeptattoos

Premium
Media
First Name
Regena
My daughter is 14 and an amazing artist, her work has to be seen to be believed, sometimes she gets a mental block or asks for some ideas or direction, only last night we sat down and went through some ideas, I love helping her and she likes my input, last night was power lining with different pens, basics of dotwork and dotwork as shading, she checks out the way tattoos are drawn and looks at others designs for inspiration, all we did for Regina was offered some suggestions, how she or her son interpreted them is down to them, he will take on board what we suggested and store it and hopefully learn from it, he is only young and probably really excited, we all wanted to win at that age.

How many parents helped their kids to make fancy dress costumes or easter bonnets at school to help them win, same thing, not as though it is a national competition with a big cash prize at the end of it.
Thank you Andy you are the only one that hasn't made my son feel like he cheated. I was reading this on my ipad last night before I went to bed and left it on this page. This morning when he woke up he grabbed the iPad and saw the page so pulled it down to refresh it. Now he feels as if he has copied his design and got upset and tore his bookmark in half and told me never mind about the contest.
It's one thing to ask for advice and not take it but he thought the ideas were fantastic and went with them. Yeah he used a stack of books as Andy suggested and he added grass and a rock, actually a whole new child. He didn't ask anyone to do it for him no he sat at the computer for 2 hours redesigning that book mark.
I really feel like asking for advice from the forum on that bookmark is no different then me sitting done with him and helping him solve a math problem.

It isn't like he was on ink master trying to come up with 100,000 dollar back piece.

marked 4 life

Premium Gold
First Name
A
I feel for your son Regena, I do think people have been far too harsh on a child at a important stage of development, tell Rhett to redo and submit it, I think he did a good job, he hasn't copied another persons work but implemented a few ideas.

Skindeeptattoos

Premium
Media
First Name
Regena
I feel for your son Regena, I do think people have been far too harsh on a child at a important stage of development, tell Rhett to redo and submit it, I think he did a good job, he hasn't copied another persons work but implemented a few ideas.
I really do agree with you Andy at least someone is with me On this.
I printed out the silhouette part of the book mark I am glad I saved it :LOL: He will just have to color the crayons and the rain of color.

It's funny cause the little girl across the street who my son goes to school with and I take to school. She knows I draw and do lots of things on photoshop. She came and asked me if I would help her and If she could use photoshop
She did this bookmark.
She got the idea off a previous winning bookmark, that the school supplied to the kids for inspiration.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 6

Skindeeptattoos

Premium
Media
First Name
Regena
Hey Andy my son ended up redoing the bookmark and since the contest allowed for multiple entries. he submitted 2 bookmarks. The second one I didn't even know about.
When they get the book marks they actually cut it out and put the students name grade teacher on the back lay them out a pick the 3 best bookmarks. He ended up winning first and second place for his bookmarks. The one he did all by himself won first place and the raining colors second place.

He will get hard copies of the bookmarks and they will give the 3 winning bookmarks out in the library.

marked 4 life

Premium Gold
First Name
A
Wow, well done, give him a big pat on the back from me, I bet you are really proud of him, post the finished items when you have them or message me, I would love to see them.

Skindeeptattoos

Premium
Media
First Name
Regena
Wow, well done, give him a big pat on the back from me, I bet you are really proud of him, post the finished items when you have them or message me, I would love to see them.
I will. I am very proud. Yeah I can't wait to get the hard copies. I'm going to frame them.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Fast track your progress - The complete online tattooing course for beginners