Aztec - fake skin practice progress

Fast track your progress with the world's premier online tattoo training program. From beginner to professional artist

Basha Blacke

Premium
Media
First Name
Basha
Hi all,
My recent work, practicing contours:
INK: black and dark greywash
NEDDLES: 12.03.RL - contour
12.05.RM - black & shades filling

What kind of needle would you use for filling black colour, and greywash expecially for tight small areas?
I also have 12.17.CM but I think is too huge.Already struggle with 05.RM in some places and also tried 12.09.RL.TL but splashing too much ink.

Also graywash is coming to dark.

Please share your thoughts.

Thanks

P.S. Had only contour template all black & gray filling are pure improvisation due to my imagination ;)

Attachments

• IMG_20210202_140843.jpg
    IMG_20210202_140843.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20210202_153655.jpg
    IMG_20210202_153655.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20210202_145740.jpg
    IMG_20210202_145740.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20210202_144241.jpg
    IMG_20210202_144241.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20210202_175230.jpg
    IMG_20210202_175230.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20210202_155622.jpg
    IMG_20210202_155622.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

gadsden1776

Premium
First Name
n
no recommendation on needles... gonna really depend on your pref.

i would speculate that grey washes on practice skin will be darker than when healed in real skin. i am getting that because i have seen my grey's go in WAY dark then lighten up super significantly after healing.

if i were to use some practice skin (& I am considering it) - it would be to drill in fundamental techniques... consistent depth & angle, following lines, joining lines, running lines perfectly against one another, smooth fills, smooth shades. the reason is skin is different. you'll be adjusting the fundamental techniques from tattoo to tattoo... even on the same person (skin changes around the body).

Basha Blacke

Premium
Media
First Name
Basha
no recommendation on needles... gonna really depend on your pref.

i would speculate that grey washes on practice skin will be darker than when healed in real skin. i am getting that because i have seen my grey's go in WAY dark then lighten up super significantly after healing.

if i were to use some practice skin (& I am considering it) - it would be to drill in fundamental techniques... consistent depth & angle, following lines, joining lines, running lines perfectly against one another, smooth fills, smooth shades. the reason is skin is different. you'll be adjusting the fundamental techniques from tattoo to tattoo... even on the same person (skin changes around the body).
Thanks for advice. Fake skins can be a pain in the ass :)

DKJ

Premium
Media
First Name
Mathieu
thetattooyoyo
That's some complex design, you must have learnt a lot!
Quite nice result imo.

Can you tell us what problems/challenges you faced? We may be coming with more specific tips and techniques for all you want to fix in your self education.

You could try your next fake skin over a compacted cushion or over a bottle. Skin is never flat and it's a good reminder that any tattoo is faaaaar away from drawinf on a sheet of paper.

Peace,

DKJ

Basha Blacke

Premium
Media
First Name
Basha
DKJ... Thnx for your comment.
I've sketched a bit in the past, but I'm quite new to tattooing. Still far away from perfection.
Every day practicing and learning something new.
With this project, for a first time I tried to use greywash and is coming to dark, but gadsden1776 mentioned that it's common issue with a fake skin.
Also still experimenting with a neddles' types to cover small and narrow spaces.
Any advice?

Peace
✌️?

Last edited:

DKJ

Premium
Media
First Name
Mathieu
thetattooyoyo
Basha Blacke sorry but i won't be able to give you any advice about greywash as i'm a beginner too and never experienced it.

Peace,

DKJ

Dzikichrzan

Premium
First Name
Jakub
@dzikichrzan
hello :) nice design man, good for practice with all those parallel lines.
About lining with 3rl, looks like it was difficult for you, (well for me too) anyways not going to tear it apart as you practicing and all of that. for how long may I ask? I would try to do outline and some inner parts with let's say 9 rl or 7 then inner thing with bugpin 5rl(fav one) and this one I will use also to fill black in little corners etc. But mostly I will use mags for filling, I like 0.30 9CM or 11.
Thing with grey wash is that all brands of course differ from each others, and its pain in ass to find favourite one but after trying Silver back xxx from 1-4 would say (too watery for me) heals pretty light and grey, I hate its ink flow really.
Intenze grey wash set was for some time my favourite until I found noctural west coast blend :) really like it and diffrence is that intenze is much stronger and heals on blueish hue I would say(very little of course) anyways you can use dynamic ink or any black ink you prefer and make drops system, 20%,40%80% then full black on the end, i'm using destilled water to dilute it.
To avoid splashing try to dip only one sec in the ink cup, take very little ink :) it helped me a lot.

Basha Blacke

Premium
Media
First Name
Basha
Dzikichrzan ... thnx for your feedback

I started over 2 weeks ago and has been practice non stop; fake skins, fruits (bananas, oranges and grapefruits). In between I'm watching a lot of youTube tattoo channels.

There is so many individual preferences depending on different factors.

I'm still experimenting with different settings, hand speed depth and neddles as I don't have any particular style yet.

Yeah it's more exciting to practice more complex design than drawing simple lines & waves which I find to boring.

Greywash ink I'm using is Imperial extra dark. I'll mix it with a bit of destilled water to see how will fade.

I ike the idea with bug pins, you right. I don't know why I didn't think about that.

??

Basha Blacke

Premium
Media
First Name
Basha
Finished my Aztek design.
I used 12.17CM and 12.11.RS.LT
Not entirely happy (some patches are over done with 3 different layers and neddles) but gained some experience with 17CM. Also 11RS was very good for greywash, just had to barely nip it in an ink.

gadsden1776, DKJ, Dzikichrzan... Big thanks for your comments and advices.

??

Attachments

• IMG_20210204_173623.jpg
    IMG_20210204_173623.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20210204_185259.jpg
    IMG_20210204_185259.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Fast track your progress - The complete online tattooing course for beginners